Many people think that Muharram is important only because the incident of Karbala happened in it. However, the study of Quran and Hadees shows that Muharram is important for several other reasons too.
Given below is a verse from the Quran.
“The number of months in the sight of Allah is twelve (in a year) - So ordained by Him the day He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are sacred: That is the right religion. So wrong not yourselves therein”. (Surah Taubah Al-Quran)
The following is a brief explanation of the importance of Muharram according to the Quran and Hadees.
- Allah Almighty declared Muharram as the sacred month in the Quran.
- . Allah Almighty chose Muharram to be the first month of the Islamic calendar.
- The Jews of Medina used to fast on 10th of Muharram because on 10th Moses (r.a) was saved from the tyrant ruler and his army miraculously.
- The prophet Muhammad asked the Muslims to fast for the same reason. However to distinguish the Muslims from the Jews he asked to fast either on 9th or on 11th of Muharram. If a person wants to fast on 10th also, then he should fast on both the 9th and 10th of Muharram.
- Allah chose Shahadat for Imam Hussein (r.a) on the 10th of Muharram. It was a blessing of Allah on him to be Shaheed on such a sacred day.